"He gazed up at the enorumous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark mustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two ginscented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. he had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother."
(Orwell 245)
Based on this quote, what do you think the overall tone of the novel? Explain.
(Orwell 245)
Based on this quote, what do you think the overall tone of the novel? Explain.


By the sound I imagine by reading the quote, the quote I can see is very descriptive and I feel like the tone from the quote is a calm tone that sounds like the author is trying to explain something. With this being the last quote from the story you can tell that the author is trying to convey his thoughts in this quote and is trying to explain that last overall point of the book to hold the readers interested in the story. George Orwell used this type of sounding quotes many times, for example, “It struck him that the truly characteristic thing about modern life was not its cruelty and insecurity, but simply its bareness, its dinginess, its listlessness" (Orwell). This quote also seems like a similar tone because it is explaining with descriptive details. Through reading Orwell's book 1984 I feel that there are many different tones throughout the book but the tone of explaining or describing I feel is a big part of the book that makes the book what it is and how it sounds in your mind. I am sure there are other tones that are also in the book a lot but when I was word wizard once, I noticed that I saw a lot of quotes that sound like the one you found and the one I found and feel that quotes that sound this way are throughout the whole book.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with Jarod I also think as though the quote has a descriptive tone and that the author is trying to explain his thoughts and feelings in this quote. But I also think that the author is trying to provide a tone of despair because it sounds like he lost his hope and just gave up just like he did when he was threatened with the rats. “Do it to Julia! Do it to Julia! Not me! Julia! I don’t care what you do to her. Tear her face off, strip het to the bones. Not me! Julia! Not me!” (Orwell 236). I think this quote is also an example of despair, because he gave up on Julia and new that she would never forgive him.
ReplyDelete