Comparitively speaking, who do you think had a greater impact on Montag's life in the story, Beatty, Mildred, or Faber? For the better or worse and why/how?
(No grade) I believe that Faber had the greates positive impact on Montag's life. I say this because Faber showed Montag that there are others out there like him who care about books and knowledge which was present in the past.
I believe they all had impacted Montag's life in a way. Mildred and Beatty were both antagonists so I feel that their impact was mostly negative. Faber, however, was a supporting character so I think that he had the most impact on Montag's life in the story. He explained to Montag about the impact of books on society and how society used to be with books. He devotedly helped Montag by talking into the seashell whenever Montag needed advice. He also allowed Montag into his house as a place of refuge on the massive search for him towards the end of the book. Since Faber was was of the only people who viewed books the same way, opposite of society, I feel that he definitely had the most impact on Montags life throughout the story and the plot would be completely different without him.
(No grade) I agree with Emily that Faber had the greatest impact on Montag's life because after Clarisse's death, he was still interested in understanding about books but there were no one that he could talk about without worries. I believe that Beatty knew about books but since he shows that books are unnecessary, it could have been hard for Montag to trust Beatty and talk about it. Mildred, she just panicked and was worried about the house once she found that Montag had a book, so she was definitely not wroth his time to talk about books. If it wasn't for Faber to explain more about the positive impact and important things that are in the book, Montag might have lost interest in books later on.
I can agree to both Rebekah and Emily that Faber had a great impact on Montag's life however, I believe Clarisse had the greatest impact. The author purposed Clarisse as a weird human being. The content of this quote connects to Clarisse's unusual personality “I like to watch people. Sometimes I ride the subway all day and look at them and listen to them, I just want to figure out who they are and what they want and where they're going. Sometimes I even go to the Fun Parks and ride in the jet cats when they race on the edge of town at midnight and the police don’t care as long as they’re insured. As long as everyone has ten thousand insurance everyone’s happy. Sometimes I sneak around and listen in subways. Or I listen at soda fountains" (Bradbury 30). As this quote describes, I view it as Clarisse opened the eyes of Montag. Clarisse is always looking at her surroundings. That trait of Clarisse faded on to Montag which had a significant impact on Montag. For example, Clarisse made Montag realize that Mildred is not right for Monag. Clarisse allowed Montag to stop listening to the society and pay attention to the world.
Great comments guys! Thank you so much for them! Personally I think Clarisse, and this is expected, had the most impact on his life. Though her time with Guy is shortlived, she introduced him to the whole world of books and their knowledge. Being different became okay for Guy after he met Clarisse. Though Faber seemingly had much control over Guy's life, I believe Guy had more power over himself than people credit him for. Guy loved Clarisse, even though Mildred was his wife. The ones you love usually hold the most impact over your emotions and actions in your life since they mean the most to you. Faber was a friend, but the connection between Guy and Clarisse was far greater. Thanks again everyone!
(No grade) I believe that Faber had the greates positive impact on Montag's life. I say this because Faber showed Montag that there are others out there like him who care about books and knowledge which was present in the past.
ReplyDeleteI believe they all had impacted Montag's life in a way. Mildred and Beatty were both antagonists so I feel that their impact was mostly negative. Faber, however, was a supporting character so I think that he had the most impact on Montag's life in the story. He explained to Montag about the impact of books on society and how society used to be with books. He devotedly helped Montag by talking into the seashell whenever Montag needed advice. He also allowed Montag into his house as a place of refuge on the massive search for him towards the end of the book. Since Faber was was of the only people who viewed books the same way, opposite of society, I feel that he definitely had the most impact on Montags life throughout the story and the plot would be completely different without him.
ReplyDelete(No grade) I agree with Emily that Faber had the greatest impact on Montag's life because after Clarisse's death, he was still interested in understanding about books but there were no one that he could talk about without worries. I believe that Beatty knew about books but since he shows that books are unnecessary, it could have been hard for Montag to trust Beatty and talk about it. Mildred, she just panicked and was worried about the house once she found that Montag had a book, so she was definitely not wroth his time to talk about books. If it wasn't for Faber to explain more about the positive impact and important things that are in the book, Montag might have lost interest in books later on.
ReplyDeleteI can agree to both Rebekah and Emily that Faber had a great impact on Montag's life however, I believe Clarisse had the greatest impact. The author purposed Clarisse as a weird human being. The content of this quote connects to Clarisse's unusual personality “I like to watch people. Sometimes I ride the subway all day and look at them and listen to them, I just want to figure out who they are and what they want and where they're going. Sometimes I even go to the Fun Parks and ride in the jet cats when they race on the edge of town at midnight and the police don’t care as long as they’re insured. As long as everyone has ten thousand insurance everyone’s happy. Sometimes I sneak around and listen in subways. Or I listen at soda fountains" (Bradbury 30). As this quote describes, I view it as Clarisse opened the eyes of Montag. Clarisse is always looking at her surroundings. That trait of Clarisse faded on to Montag which had a significant impact on Montag. For example, Clarisse made Montag realize that Mildred is not right for Monag. Clarisse allowed Montag to stop listening to the society and pay attention to the world.
ReplyDeleteGreat comments guys! Thank you so much for them! Personally I think Clarisse, and this is expected, had the most impact on his life. Though her time with Guy is shortlived, she introduced him to the whole world of books and their knowledge. Being different became okay for Guy after he met Clarisse. Though Faber seemingly had much control over Guy's life, I believe Guy had more power over himself than people credit him for.
ReplyDeleteGuy loved Clarisse, even though Mildred was his wife. The ones you love usually hold the most impact over your emotions and actions in your life since they mean the most to you. Faber was a friend, but the connection between Guy and Clarisse was far greater.
Thanks again everyone!