FAHRENHEIT 451~ Kerstin Westerlund

This quote form page 141: “The sun and time, the sun and time and burning. Burning… The sun burnt every day. It burnt time. The world rushed in a circle and turned on its axis and time was busy burning the years and people anyway, without any help from him” (Bradbury 141). Based off this quote, how can the sun symbolize the way society is throughout the book? How can this be considered irony, especially considering the way Montag used to be? What does this quote convey that’s significant to the story?

Comments

  1. I think the sun symbolizes Montag throughout the book when the quote says it "turns on its axis" I think it defintately is symbolizing the major turning point in the book which in my opinion would be Montag meeting Clarisse; when Montag starts to quetion his marriage, job, and friends. When it says "the sun burnt everyday" I think it could take a literal meaning. I think it could symbolize Montag in the literal sense in that he was burning books everyday at his job up until he met Clarrise. I think the sun could symbolize society ironically because the society thinks that burning books will help everyone be uniform and therefore happier but what the quote is saying is that burning is linked with time and the more they burn things the faster everything else "burns" away too and in the end will destroy their society.This quote is significant because it conveys the idea of burning which is obviously a main topic but also it says "without any help from him" which is Montag referring to himself and it is significant because Montag is realizing that everything that he has been "brainwashed" to do his whole life is actually harming the things in his life(years and people).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts