The author often times used the boy in order to show foreshadowing. For example, when they found the house with all of the people locked in the cellar, the boy kept trying to get his father to leave the house: "What if there's someone here, Papa? There's no one here. We should go, Papa. We've got to find something to eat. We have no choice. We could find something somewhere else" (McCarthy 106). The author created a sense of fear and foreboding by the boy's fear, by having him repeatedly tell his father that they should leave, and shouldn’t go into the house. Later, the boy’s fear was proven justifiable. He consistently uses the boy to create fear with foreshadowing throughout the book to show that something terrible is soon to come. Another time McCarthy uses the boy to foreshadow is, “What is it? Nothing. I had a bad dream. What did you dream about? Nothing. Are you okay? No. He put his arms around him and held him. It’s okay, he said. I was crying. But you didn’t wake up. I’m sorry. I was just so tired. I meant in the dream” (McCarthy 183). The boy’s dream is foreshadowing to his dad’s upcoming death. As the story continued to develop, McCarthy continued to foreshadow more frequently to the dad’s death. The foreshadowing for his dad’s death was not only from the son, but also from events such as the dad coughing up blood.
The author used foreshadowing several times in this book. The author helped set up the foreshadowing with the main characters. The boy and man would have a dream, or say something that would make the reader infer that something bad was going to happen. Towards the end the foreshadowing was most prominent. You knew that something was bound to happen to the characters, they were not going to make it all the way to the end of the book as more stressful events happened. “He’d been visited in a dream by creatures of a kind he’d never seen before…He thought perhaps they’d come to warn him. Of what?” (McCarthy 153). The man had a dream with creatures; the creatures might have been deathly figures, warning him of his death. The man is very sick, he has been throughout the whole book coughing and it continues to get worse. The way McCarthy builds up his sickness, and shows how it gets worse readers can infer that, that is what will kill the man. “Coughing. Coughing. He bent over holding his knees. Taste of blood: (McCarthy 237). The man’s coughing attacks happened more frequently towards the end of the book. His condition is what killed him, “He could go no further and that this was the place where he would die” (McCarthy 277). This part of the novel showed that he is going to die very soon. “I’ve got to stop talking. I’m going to start coughing again” (McCarthy 279). His illness exhausted him, he would cough all the time, and the dreams and coughing attacks foreshadowed to his death, and that his illness would be his killer.
Cormac McCarthy moves the plot forward with his use of foreshadowing. Through the characters (father and son) he was able to warn or hint of upcoming events that would occur. I agree with Jessica Cruz when she said the foreshadowing happened a lot towards the end of the novel. The author would suggest the fathers up coming death numerously. For example, "At night when he woke coughing he'd sit up with his hand pushed over his head against the blackness. Like a man waking in a grave" (McCarthy 213). Through the use of a simile, he compared the father to a man waking in a grave. This suggest that the man will indeed die soon in the novel. McCarthy is trying to illustrate the mental image of the father in a graveyard, dead. Another time the author uses foreshadowing is on page 237: "Coughing…taste of blood…he thought about his life but there was no life to think about." At this point the author was making it very clear that the father will die. This shows that the man is getting too weak and soon he will not be able to go on any further. Finally, on page 238, the author used soliloquy dialogue to express the fathers feelings and thoughts: "Everyday is a life, he said. But you are dying. That is not a lie." Here, the father is talking to himself and he feels and knows that he will die soon. All three of these quotes move the plot foreword towards the climax of the novel, where the father dies.
I completely agree with the above that the author uses foreshadowing throughout the whole story. Whether it was to propel the plot or end the story leaving readers thinking what will happen next; foreshadowing played a huge role in McCarthy’s writing. A significant example would be the actual ending of the story when the boy met another man who asks him join them: “You got two choices here. There was some discussion about whether to even come after you at all. You can stay here with your papa and die or you can go with me. If you stay you need to keep out of the road. I dont know how you made it this far. But you should go with me. You’ll be all right. How do I know you’re one of the good guys? You dont. You’ll have to take a shot” (McCarthy 283). It would be too obvious if the man said he was a good guy right off the bat, which leaves many readers questioning if the boy could really trust him or not. This event foreshadows a sequel in my opinion, a story that continues with the boy. McCarthy wrote the ending of this book in a way for readers to question and wonder if the boy will stay alive. This is an important example of how foreshadowing helps the story develop to the end, and continue on to a possible sequel.
I agree, the author does often uses foreshadowing throughout the whole book to help the story develop to the end. The author often uses foreshadowing to increase the tension in the particular scene, either to climax or to something dramatic. For example, on page 80, the boy said "I don't feel good, papa." That part, you start to question why the boy doesn't feel good; is he hurting from eating something, or was he tired, or was his guts telling him that's something is bad going to happen. Later, in page 82, the man found out that their stuff has been stolen. “Everything. You stupid ass, he said. You stupid ass. The boy was standing there wide-eyed. What happened Papa? They took everything. Come on.” This shows how the author uses foreshadowing to develop a climax in the story.
I completely agree with all of these comments, as all of them support the idea that the use of foreshadowing was used to tell readers what was going to happen as the story developed. Indira’s observations of the boy being used to foreshadow the plot definitely opened my eyes because I didn’t realize this until I read the comment, it made me look back in the book and notice all the things she was describing. I thought Anthony’s comment was also very interesting because I did not see foreshadowing being used to create a possible sequel until I read his comment; very intriguing insight. Before I posted this comment, the piece foreshadow I was paying most attention to was the father upcoming death, “Every day is a lie, he said. But you are dying. That is not a lie” (McCarthy 200). The coming of his death was hinted at many times throughout the story by his constant cough that continually progressed, “Slogging to the edge of the road with his back to the child where he stood bent with his hands on his knees, coughing. He raised up and stood with weeping eyes. On the gray snow a fine mist of blood” (McCarthy). The foreshadowing of his death was greatly brought up and noted by Jessica Cruz and Tho Bui, they did a fantastic job analyzing the book and finding quotes to support this. John’s comment holds an interesting observation, although, I would like to disagree because around that same time in the book, the boy explained why he did not feel good; because of his thirst, not because he knew something bad was going to happen, “I feel kind of weird. Are you hungry? I’m just really thirsty” (McCarthy 251). This being said, I do not think that the author meant for that to be a foreshadow.
The author often times used the boy in order to show foreshadowing. For example, when they found the house with all of the people locked in the cellar, the boy kept trying to get his father to leave the house: "What if there's someone here, Papa? There's no one here. We should go, Papa. We've got to find something to eat. We have no choice. We could find something somewhere else" (McCarthy 106). The author created a sense of fear and foreboding by the boy's fear, by having him repeatedly tell his father that they should leave, and shouldn’t go into the house. Later, the boy’s fear was proven justifiable. He consistently uses the boy to create fear with foreshadowing throughout the book to show that something terrible is soon to come. Another time McCarthy uses the boy to foreshadow is, “What is it? Nothing. I had a bad dream. What did you dream about? Nothing. Are you okay? No. He put his arms around him and held him. It’s okay, he said. I was crying. But you didn’t wake up. I’m sorry. I was just so tired. I meant in the dream” (McCarthy 183). The boy’s dream is foreshadowing to his dad’s upcoming death. As the story continued to develop, McCarthy continued to foreshadow more frequently to the dad’s death. The foreshadowing for his dad’s death was not only from the son, but also from events such as the dad coughing up blood.
ReplyDeleteThe author used foreshadowing several times in this book. The author helped set up the foreshadowing with the main characters. The boy and man would have a dream, or say something that would make the reader infer that something bad was going to happen. Towards the end the foreshadowing was most prominent. You knew that something was bound to happen to the characters, they were not going to make it all the way to the end of the book as more stressful events happened. “He’d been visited in a dream by creatures of a kind he’d never seen before…He thought perhaps they’d come to warn him. Of what?” (McCarthy 153). The man had a dream with creatures; the creatures might have been deathly figures, warning him of his death. The man is very sick, he has been throughout the whole book coughing and it continues to get worse. The way McCarthy builds up his sickness, and shows how it gets worse readers can infer that, that is what will kill the man. “Coughing. Coughing. He bent over holding his knees. Taste of blood: (McCarthy 237). The man’s coughing attacks happened more frequently towards the end of the book. His condition is what killed him, “He could go no further and that this was the place where he would die” (McCarthy 277). This part of the novel showed that he is going to die very soon. “I’ve got to stop talking. I’m going to start coughing again” (McCarthy 279). His illness exhausted him, he would cough all the time, and the dreams and coughing attacks foreshadowed to his death, and that his illness would be his killer.
ReplyDeleteCormac McCarthy moves the plot forward with his use of foreshadowing. Through the characters (father and son) he was able to warn or hint of upcoming events that would occur. I agree with Jessica Cruz when she said the foreshadowing happened a lot towards the end of the novel. The author would suggest the fathers up coming death numerously. For example, "At night when he woke coughing he'd sit up with his hand pushed over his head against the blackness. Like a man waking in a grave" (McCarthy 213). Through the use of a simile, he compared the father to a man waking in a grave. This suggest that the man will indeed die soon in the novel. McCarthy is trying to illustrate the mental image of the father in a graveyard, dead. Another time the author uses foreshadowing is on page 237: "Coughing…taste of blood…he thought about his life but there was no life to think about." At this point the author was making it very clear that the father will die. This shows that the man is getting too weak and soon he will not be able to go on any further. Finally, on page 238, the author used soliloquy dialogue to express the fathers feelings and thoughts: "Everyday is a life, he said. But you are dying. That is not a lie." Here, the father is talking to himself and he feels and knows that he will die soon. All three of these quotes move the plot foreword towards the climax of the novel, where the father dies.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with the above that the author uses foreshadowing throughout the whole story. Whether it was to propel the plot or end the story leaving readers thinking what will happen next; foreshadowing played a huge role in McCarthy’s writing. A significant example would be the actual ending of the story when the boy met another man who asks him join them: “You got two choices here. There was some discussion about whether to even come after you at all. You can stay here with your papa and die or you can go with me. If you stay you need to keep out of the road. I dont know how you made it this far. But you should go with me. You’ll be all right. How do I know you’re one of the good guys? You dont. You’ll have to take a shot” (McCarthy 283). It would be too obvious if the man said he was a good guy right off the bat, which leaves many readers questioning if the boy could really trust him or not. This event foreshadows a sequel in my opinion, a story that continues with the boy. McCarthy wrote the ending of this book in a way for readers to question and wonder if the boy will stay alive. This is an important example of how foreshadowing helps the story develop to the end, and continue on to a possible sequel.
ReplyDeleteI agree, the author does often uses foreshadowing throughout the whole book to help the story develop to the end. The author often uses foreshadowing to increase the tension in the particular scene, either to climax or to something dramatic. For example, on page 80, the boy said "I don't feel good, papa." That part, you start to question why the boy doesn't feel good; is he hurting from eating something, or was he tired, or was his guts telling him that's something is bad going to happen. Later, in page 82, the man found out that their stuff has been stolen.
ReplyDelete“Everything. You stupid ass, he said. You stupid ass.
The boy was standing there wide-eyed. What happened Papa?
They took everything. Come on.”
This shows how the author uses foreshadowing to develop a climax in the story.
I completely agree with all of these comments, as all of them support the idea that the use of foreshadowing was used to tell readers what was going to happen as the story developed. Indira’s observations of the boy being used to foreshadow the plot definitely opened my eyes because I didn’t realize this until I read the comment, it made me look back in the book and notice all the things she was describing. I thought Anthony’s comment was also very interesting because I did not see foreshadowing being used to create a possible sequel until I read his comment; very intriguing insight. Before I posted this comment, the piece foreshadow I was paying most attention to was the father upcoming death, “Every day is a lie, he said. But you are dying. That is not a lie” (McCarthy 200). The coming of his death was hinted at many times throughout the story by his constant cough that continually progressed, “Slogging to the edge of the road with his back to the child where he stood bent with his hands on his knees, coughing. He raised up and stood with weeping eyes. On the gray snow a fine mist of blood” (McCarthy). The foreshadowing of his death was greatly brought up and noted by Jessica Cruz and Tho Bui, they did a fantastic job analyzing the book and finding quotes to support this. John’s comment holds an interesting observation, although, I would like to disagree because around that same time in the book, the boy explained why he did not feel good; because of his thirst, not because he knew something bad was going to happen, “I feel kind of weird. Are you hungry? I’m just really thirsty” (McCarthy 251). This being said, I do not think that the author meant for that to be a foreshadow.
ReplyDelete