1984 Literary Devices Question

"He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother." (Part III, Chapter 6)

http://www.sovereignindependentuk.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/cropped-big-brother-is-watching-1984.png

What does the victory symbolize? What does the Big Brother symbolize?

Comments

  1. As we see throughout the book Big Brother and the party take many actions just to make sure that people will follow them wether it is the constant survalience or the two minutes of hate they want to make sure everyone is on board and as we can see here they have gained another victory for themselves as they have taken over Winston. This was a horrid ending just thought I toss that out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the victory is for big brother not Winston. We have seen throughout the book that Big Brother is willing to do anything to keep peace and order throughout the story. “Do it to Julia! Do it to Julia! Not me! Julia! I don’t care what you do to her. Tear her face off, strip het to the bones. Not me! Julia! Not me!” (Orwell 236). With Winston giving up and telling O’Brian to torture Julia with the rat instead of himself proved that no matter what happens big brother will prevail and will always have victory.
    I think big brother symbolizes the Nazis party. Just like the Nazi party, the party tried to destroy all hope and brains washes them with fake happiness. “And for the first time he noticed, with a kind of inward shudder, and yet not knowing at what he shuddered, that both Aaronson and Ruther ford had broken noses.” (Orwell 66). “Do it to Julia! Do it to Julia! Not me! Julia! I don’t care what you do to her. Tear her face off, strip het to the bones. Not me! Julia! Not me!” (Orwell 236). This is proved throughout the entire book from Aaronson and Rutherford’s broken noses, to torture with a helmet full of rats.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts