What do you think the author's main purpose was for the character Julia? How do you think she developed the story? Make sure to include evidence from the text to explain/support your answer.
I think Julia contributed to the development of Winston. There was a huge change in his character from the time they were together to the end of the novel. For example, "You are prepared, the two of you, to separate and never see on another again?' 'No!' broke in Julia" (Orwell 142). This quote shows how much they were in love and cared for each other. They agreed they would commit suicide, and throw sulfuric acid in a child's face yet they could not separate each other, even for the party. However by the end of the novel Winston's feelings are not very clear. For example when his life depended on it he said, "Do it to Julia! Do it to Julia! Not me! Julia! I don't care what you do to her. Tear he face off, strip her to the bones. Not me! Julia! Not me!" (Orwell 236). Clearly going from saying you can't leave someone to saying tear their face off is a huge difference. I think the author used Julia and these events to show the kind of backwards development of Winston. He evolved from a free-thinking man in love and got worse, turning on his love and being controlled by the party. I do not think Julia directly caused any of this development, but she definitely emphasized what was occurring with Winston.
I agree with Izzy, I also thought that Julia’s main purpose was to further develop Winston. I do agree that Winston changed and Julia was used to emphasize the changes that happened in Winston. While in ‘prison’ Winston had been sleeping and “He had heard himself cry aloud: ‘Julia! Julia! Julia, my love! Julia!’” (Orwell 230). From this we know that he was still in-love and deeply cared for her, even though he hadn’t seen her for quite some time. He still loved her even though he knew that she was no longer the same person and she might not even love him. “You would hardly recognize her if you saw her…everything has been burned out of her” (Orwell 214). This shows dedication and commitment because despite all the odds and everything he has been through he still loves her. It also shows he still has the ability to feel love for something other than Big Brother and the party. “If I could save Julia by doubling my own pain, would I do it? Yes, I would” (Orwell 197). This shows what he used to be like, how he used to think before he was broken down and tortured. He used to care about Julia and would do anything to ease her pain. In the rat scene that Izzy mentioned, they use Julia to show that Winston has changed. He no longer feels love he no longer cares about what happens to Julia. He would bring more pain upon her if he could relieve pain for himself.
I think Julia contributed to the development of Winston. There was a huge change in his character from the time they were together to the end of the novel. For example, "You are prepared, the two of you, to separate and never see on another again?' 'No!' broke in Julia" (Orwell 142). This quote shows how much they were in love and cared for each other. They agreed they would commit suicide, and throw sulfuric acid in a child's face yet they could not separate each other, even for the party. However by the end of the novel Winston's feelings are not very clear. For example when his life depended on it he said, "Do it to Julia! Do it to Julia! Not me! Julia! I don't care what you do to her. Tear he face off, strip her to the bones. Not me! Julia! Not me!" (Orwell 236). Clearly going from saying you can't leave someone to saying tear their face off is a huge difference. I think the author used Julia and these events to show the kind of backwards development of Winston. He evolved from a free-thinking man in love and got worse, turning on his love and being controlled by the party. I do not think Julia directly caused any of this development, but she definitely emphasized what was occurring with Winston.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Izzy, I also thought that Julia’s main purpose was to further develop Winston. I do agree that Winston changed and Julia was used to emphasize the changes that happened in Winston. While in ‘prison’ Winston had been sleeping and “He had heard himself cry aloud: ‘Julia! Julia! Julia, my love! Julia!’” (Orwell 230). From this we know that he was still in-love and deeply cared for her, even though he hadn’t seen her for quite some time. He still loved her even though he knew that she was no longer the same person and she might not even love him. “You would hardly recognize her if you saw her…everything has been burned out of her” (Orwell 214). This shows dedication and commitment because despite all the odds and everything he has been through he still loves her. It also shows he still has the ability to feel love for something other than Big Brother and the party. “If I could save Julia by doubling my own pain, would I do it? Yes, I would” (Orwell 197). This shows what he used to be like, how he used to think before he was broken down and tortured. He used to care about Julia and would do anything to ease her pain. In the rat scene that Izzy mentioned, they use Julia to show that Winston has changed. He no longer feels love he no longer cares about what happens to Julia. He would bring more pain upon her if he could relieve pain for himself.
ReplyDelete