The Best 1984 Plot Question Ever!


How does the authors choice to structure the text in different ways such as diary entries, flashbacks, and Winston's thoughts, help create different moods and push the development of the plot and themes? Do you like that the author chose to use diary entries and flaskbacks? Why or why not?
Use text evidence to answer!!!!!

Comments

  1. I think the flashbacks and diary entries gave away a lot of the exposition of the plot, which gave me a better understanding of why WInston was so against the party! For example, when he had the flashback about his childhood, in which he was awful and selfish, it became clear to me that the party had taken his whole family from him and was sent to a foster care home. It totally made sense to me after I read that section why WInston is so against Big Brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, Makaila, that the diary entries and flashbacks did give a lot of exposition and background knowledge on Winston specifically. For example the author included a flashback/dream where Winston said, "He knew that he was starving the other two, but he could not help it; he even felt that he had a right to do it" (Orwell 134). The author including this showed me a side of Winston I had not seen before, and I agree it did help me understand why he hated the party. Also I thought these structural choices helped create moods. For example there is a part in the novel where the author goes in and out of reality, from Winston's thoughts back to the workout on the telescreen. "The instructress had called them to attention again" (Orwell 33). Since the author was going back and forth between giving bits of a memory and then back to the actual action at hand, it helped create suspense because it slowed everything down and you had to keep reading. I also found that when Winston would reflect on a memory it gave me the feeling that things used to be better before the party, which comes back to your point, Makaila, that Winston is and should be against the party.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts